Section I. Purpose
The Louisiana Veterans Foundation Scholarship Program was created to provide undergraduate educational opportunities to Louisiana Veterans, their families and the families of active duty military personnel in the form of a scholarship.
Section II. Goal
The goal of the Scholarship Program is to secure funds through endowments, corporate sponsorships, and charitable events to provide the scholarships to qualified, selected applicants for tuition, books, room and board.
Section III. Scholarship Committee
The initial Scholarship Committee will consist of the original Foundation Board members, subsequent Committee members will be approved in accordance with the Foundation’s By-Laws.
Section IV. Responsibilities
The Committee Members have the following responsibilities:
- Determine annual deadlines for scholarship fundraising and application submittals
- Develop and review completed application forms
- Review and amend criteria for selection of recipients as necessary
- Create the scholarship announcement flier and other promotional materials
- Review submitted applications and select recipients
- Establish an annual fundraising goal
- Maintain records of each scholarship granted, the qualification evaluation and criteria, case histories, and the purpose of the scholarship
Section V. Meetings
The Committee will meet at a minimum of once per year and will conduct the meeting in accordance with the Foundation’s By-Laws.
Section VI. Eligibility Criteria
Each application will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- High school graduate
- Honorably discharged Veteran, Active Duty Military, or a dependent of an Honorably discharged Veteran or Active Duty Military
- Two letters of reference from past professors or teachers
- Applicant must be a declared major at an accredited college, university, or technical
- Veteran or Active Duty Military must be a legal resident of the State of Louisiana
- Applicant must be registered full time for the semester covered by the scholarship
- Applicant must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale); a certified copy of the applicant’s transcript from the educational facility must be provided
- Applicant demonstrates a financial need ( a demonstrated financial allows preference in the award provided all other criteria are met)
Section VII. Scholarship Determination
The Committee will determine the number of scholarships available each year based on the available funds and eligible applicants. The initial scholarship amount will be $1500.00, this amount may be changed by the Committee in accordance with the Foundation’s By-Laws.
Section VIII. Records
Recipients of the scholarships will agree to provide receipts indicating the scholarship was used for tuition, books, or room and board. Receipts are not required for scholarship fund sent directly to the college, university, or technical school expressly for an applicants tuition, books, or room and board.